[adelie-devel] Re: main/ -> system/ + user/ vs aports.git fork [1]

From: Horst G. Burkhardt <horst_at_adelielinux.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 15:38:29 +1100

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 14:00:15 -0600
"A. Wilcox" <awilfox(a)adelielinux.org> wrote:

> bash:
>
> We have the -binsh virtual, the patch for bashrc location, and our own
> bashrc file. None of these make sense for upstream. Unless I hear a
> good argument for offering it in user/, I'm pretty sure this should be
> in system/.

I'd actually like to see dash moved into system to provide /bin/sh -
but that notwithstanding, the patch to make bash use bashrc properly
and our own bashrc are a good enough reason to keep our own bash in
system/ ...

> binutils:
>
> We ship 2.29 instead of 2.28. We ship seven patches for everything
> from tests to wrong behaviour with MIPS targets. ncopa did not seem
> interested in bumping binutils until GCC is also bumped. This could
> be moved to system/ since we are already maintaining it ourselves.

> gcc:
>
> Our gcc is wildly different from Alpine, so much so that this probably
> belongs in system/ even if we do end up keeping an aports.git fork.
> In addition, I don't feel comfortable with jumping to GCC 8 and
> Alpine has been talking about it for retpoline support. This is
> going in system/ unless someone has a very good argument why it
> shouldn't.

I support binutils and gcc going into our system/ - especially since
we're supporting different platforms from Alpine and those may have
technical demands of their own.

As for the rest, I defer judgement to people who know what they're
doing - the sooner we get alpha5 going and this grand unification done,
the sooner i get community/emacs and can actually work on things
comfortably :)

Regards,
    - Horst