[adelie-devel] Re: main/ -> system/ + user/ vs aports.git fork [4]

From: William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 08:07:53 -0600

Hello,

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 3:17 PM, A. Wilcox <awilfox(a)adelielinux.org> wrote:
> [This list is continued from the previous email.]
>

> lynx:
>
> We enable a LOT of extra options, primarily for accessibilty or UX.
> This would likely be considered bloat by Alpine. Not sure if aerdan_at_
> would be interested in maintaining this in system/.

What are the options? What are the dependency lists for both Alpine
and Adelie versions? Most likely it can be upstreamed, actually.

> lz4:
>
> We need to investigate if the patches we carry are in lz4 upstream or if
> Alpine needs them or if only we need them.
>

> ninja:
>
> We use asciidoctor instead of asciidoc because Ruby is better than
> Python 2. This is likely never going to upstreamed, so someone will
> need to maintain it in system/.

asciidoctor is preferred over asciidoc in Alpine these days due to
jirutka_at_'s advocacy. It is upstreamable.

> openrc:
>
> Our OpenRC configuration is drastically different. This should likely
> just be moved to system/ anyway.
>

> pango:
>
> The test suite requires a specific font, Cantarell, to pass (since it
> tests font drawing). This is only in Alpine testing/, so we have to
> wait until it is in main/ to merge this. I don't know if the test suite
> is worth maintaining it in system/.

We can move Cantarell to main.

> pax-utils:
>
> We !check it because we haven't packaged py-elftools. They expect
> better from us, as do I. Let's get that packaged and then ship the test
> suite.

OK.

> pidgin:
>
> We enable D-Bus, Perl, and NLS for user experience and integration with
> modern desktops. Alpine will never accept this. We may want to put
> this in user/ so that Alpine users can have a choice. I'm not sure.

D-Bus is a plugin isn't it? If so we could solve this by splitting
D-Bus and Perl. NLS is fine as long as the locales are split into
$subpkg-lang.

> poppler:
>
> We enable PNG, TIFF, and Zlib support in Poppler for wider image support
> in PDFs. We need to discuss whether Alpine considers this good or bloat.

I believe it is fine.

> postfix:
>
> We kill MySQL support because MariaDB isn't buildable on PowerPC.

What are the problems with MariaDB on PowerPC? Can you start a new
thread for this?

> procps:
>
> We enable kill and w in procps because we don't ship BusyBox by default.
> We already have our own private psmisc package in user/, and I am a
> contributor to procps, so I don't see the harm in having procps in
> system/. I can maintain it.

OK.

William