[adelie-devel] Re: Roadmap to alpha5

From: William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 08:51:03 -0600


On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 1:49 PM, A. Wilcox <awilfox(a)adelielinux.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've recently completely overhauled our roadmap pages on the wiki and
> there is a specific page for alpha5:
> https://wiki.adelielinux.org/wiki/Project:Roadmap/1.0-ALPHA5
> Since there has been some confusion around all this, I'm going to
> clarify the best I can now.
> Packaging:
> * All builders are in frozen state until the adelie-integration branch
> is merged into Alpine's aports.git. This is to ensure we don't mix up
> package origins. Once the merge is complete, the builders will be
> blanked and mass-rebuild for alpha5 using our system/ as the primary
> repo and Alpine aports.git as a secondary repo, instead of a fork.
> * As such, system/ is also frozen until the merge is completed, with the
> exception of moving packages from main/ in preparation for the 'thaw'.
> This is the reason why easy-kernel mc4 is not yet shipping on any
> architecture, and why easy-kernel mc3 has not shipped on x86_64.
> * This also means while user/ is not frozen on paper, no package changes
> will be built until the builders are unfrozen, so there is no work
> happening in user/ either.
> * Once the merge is complete, we will need to review the packages that
> have not had any discussion yet on the MLs (of which there are 18). We
> will also need to discuss with Alpine maintainers about the "terrible
> tests" category of packages that we did not merge, and whether they are
> interested in shipping them with tests or if we need to take ownership.

The initial merge is completed as of a few minutes ago!

> * Once all of that is done, we need to focus on GStreamer and whether we
> need to ship our own GStreamer packages.
> * Then we can focus on the Python 3 packages I noted in aports mail 6.
> * That will leave us with four packages with ppc64 (BE) fixes,
> gnome-doc-utils and pax-utils that we need to fix on our side, and
> libgsf, harfbuzz, and lame, which have outstanding questions for Alpine
> to answer.
> * Once all of the above points are done, the builders will unfreeze and
> we will never have to deal with this stuff again.
> KDE:
> * KF 5.43 is out, but I don't feel comfortable bumping 70 packages when
> none of them will be built until a week (or more) later.
> * Plasma 5.12 LTS is out. Bug fix 2 (5.12.2) will be released on
> Tuesday, the 20th of February.[1] This gives us plenty of time to test
> it and back out to 5.8 if it is not yet stable. If we have the time
> after the Alpine merge is finished, I feel we should consider bumping in
> this release.

Let's go for it. I rather have 5.12 than 5.8.

> * Education packages should be easy once builders are unfrozen.
> Documentation:
> * The Developer Guide[2] is nearing 50% completion. Once the abuild man
> page PR[3] is finished, it should be fairly easy for me to write chapter
> 4. After some initial outlines for the other guides, this will mean our
> documentation targets will be met. I don't foresee any delays here.

I believe the abuild PR review should be finished early next week.

Received on Sat Feb 17 2018 - 14:51:14 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Sat May 08 2021 - 22:54:40 UTC