[adelie-devel]Re: Adelie on QEMU PPC

From: BALATON Zoltan <balaton_at_eik.bme.hu>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 20:33:00 +0200

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
> I can get some more logs if I run it as:
>
> qemu-system-ppc -M mac99,via=pmu -m 1024 \
> -boot d -cdrom adelie-live-ppc-1.0-beta3.iso \
> -d unimp,guest_errors -nographic -serial stdio -monitor null
>
> still need to go to grub> prompt and do linux initrd boot, then I get:
[...]
> Console: colour dummy device 80x25
> console [tty0] enabled
> bootconsole [udbg0] disabled
> smp_core99_probe
>
> After this I see it's poking PCI BARs then nothing else happens.

I've found the rest of the logs and found that I can boot it if I redirect
output to serial form open firmware. To do that I used this command:

ppc-softmmu/qemu-system-ppc -M mac99,via=pmu -m 1024 \
-cdrom /media/tmp/balaton/isos/adelie-live-ppc-1.0-beta3.iso \
-d unimp,guest_errors -serial stdio

note omitting -boot d to get to OF prompt, then at OF:

0> setenv output-device /pci(a)f2000000/mac-io/escc/ch-a
0> boot cd:,\\:tbxi

Then grub appears on serial line (redirected to stdio of qemu command) but
keyboard is still on QEMU window so one should type there, then do the
"c", linux /bzImage, initrd /initrd, boot dance and then it boots with
logs first on serial then in frame buffer. Otherwise it hangs for me
before initing frame buffer. Any idea what's wrong?

Also I was doing this to be able to test the new QEMU ati-vga emulation
I'm working on but found that fbset command is not on the live CD. Is
there an easy way to get a suitable binary or should I try the full CD
instead?

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan