[adelie-devel] Re: Random entropy on boot

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-adelie_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 02:32:27 +0000

>It seems like we might want to consider having haveged as part of the
>default installation. That is not to say we put it in adelie-base, but
>recommend it in the manual installation guide and install it by default
>as part of Horizon.
>
>Thoughts?

  It's probably not needed.
  We don't use systemd, we don't consume a lot of entropy at start.
Listing the entropy consumers and their dependencies is part of the
"make a pass on OpenRC scripts to understand exactly what they do"
work that I want to do soon-ish, but soon-ish is still probably too
far in the future for Adélie. Nevertheless, if some work needs to be
done anyway, I'd rather the work be put into correctly reorganizing
the init script dependencies so we can boot a maximum of services
before getting blocked by a lack of entropy.

  On my x86_64 router with no specific entropy mechanism (and embedded,
so not many entropy sources), running s6-rc (which can start services
in parallel), the gettys and most services are instant, and sshd
usually comes up in less than 20 seconds. Of course, being able to
run other stuff while sshd is blocking helps fill the entropy pool...

  In short, I'd rather work towards ensuring getrandom() is not a
problem than adding stuff to compensate for blocking initialization
that makes it a problem.

--
  Laurent