[adelie-project] Re: Making 1.0 a non-LTS release

From: Max Rees <maxcrees_at_me.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2018 16:27:58 -0400

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 3:57 PM A. Wilcox <awilfox(a)adelielinux.org> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I was thinking that perhaps 1.0 being our first release should not be a
> long term support release. That is, it would only be supported for 18
> months (until 1.5), not the full 3 years (until 2.0).
>
> Would this be acceptable?

To me, this seems acceptable because it is aligned with discussions
that have been had on IRC previously, where it was made known that
the 2.0 release would be the first release for mass distribution and
marketing for all users, and the 1.0 release would be more akin to
a "preview" release in this sense.

This would also mean that we have more time to replace OpenRC
with s6 so that we aren't stuck supporting OpenRC (as the default?
I assume we will always offer it as an option) for 3 years or more.

Max