[adelie-project] Re: Version freeze for 1.0-BETA1

From: Max Rees <maxcrees_at_me.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2018 01:19:54 -0400

On Sep 05 09:14 PM, A. Wilcox wrote:
> I'd like to have a more concrete understanding of what we want in a
> version freeze. Some discussion was already had on IRC.
>
> * No more feature releases.
>
> This would mean 18.08 -> 18.12 for KDE would not happen, for instance.
>
> * Security patches always.
>
> So (for instance) OpenSSL 1.0.2o -> 1.0.2p would always happen.
>
> * Bug fixes?
>
> What about KDE 18.08.2? That would be strictly for crashes and fixes,
> not new features.

In the case where upstream releases a version with both new features and
bugfixes, would we be expected to backport the fixes instead of
upgrading? Just to clarify.

> A few concerns I have...
>
> * We are very close to having Rust. Once we have Rust, we can upgrade
> to Firefox 60 ESR. This could be considered a security patch, but it is
> also a significant feature release: there are no more XPIs.

We need new Firefox as soon as we can get it. Unless the Wikipedia page
is incorrect, ESR 52 just reached end-of-life yesterday (Wednesday 05
September).

Max