[adelie-project] Re: Release cycle / future roadmap

From: Horst Burkhardt <horst_at_adelielinux.org>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2019 18:37:41 +1100

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 20:13:20 -0600
"A. Wilcox" <awilfox(a)adelielinux.org> wrote:

> Wallpapers (1 day)
>
> Connect with Horst, ensure availability in Plasma, LXQt, XFCE pickers.

Well, you know where to find me, and I have basically no life, so this
one shouldn't be too hard to knock out in the immediate future...

> User handbook (10-14 days)
>
> Write.

On this one, don't be afraid to steal from any CC or similarly licenced
source if it suits our needs - no need to reinvent the wheel if someone
else has already written something that just needs a polish.

> Marketing (1-3 weeks)
>
> Write copy, organise release event, contact individuals, press,
> companies.
>

> alpha2 list (5-10 days)
>
> Package.

I have to ask why it's taken this long to get to the alpha2 list - I
mean, it was quite some time ago that alpha2 dropped. Can we point our
increasing corps of packaging personnel at the list, perchance?

> alpha7 list (3-7 days)
>
> Package.

See my comments re alpha2 - many hands make the lights work.

> POSIX: VSC (10-14 days)
>
> Set up tests on all architectures (arm64, ppc32, ppc64, i586, x86_64).
> Run tests on all architectures. Verify test results. Attempt to make
> fixes, if possible.

How do we deal with low-level things like the linux kernel? Will Open
Group still call us a Unix if we smile and blink our eyes prettily?

> First of all, I think that perhaps we should have a BETA3 release with
> some of the more pressing issues fixed. Scratch Fake Horizon and
> we're still looking at 102 days or mid-April.

I'm in favour of having a BETA3 - especially if it buys us time to
polish things up so that we get 1.0-RELEASE done right. We're already
doing better than most 1.0 releases of other operating systems from an
engineering and functionality standpoint, so all that remains is to get
lots of people using Adelie and proselytising to their friends.

> Suggested BETA3 goals:
>
> KDE theme (2 days)
>
> Wallpapers (1 day)
>
> User handbook (10-14 days)
>
> image.git (2 days)
>
> alpha2 list (5-10 days)
>
> alpha7 list (3-7 days)
>
> Rust (bump) (1 day)
>
> Firefox 60 (ppc64) (1+ week)
>
> POSIX: VSC (10-14 days)
>
> More TrueType fonts (2-3 days)
>
> Fix GRUB 2 package (3-5 days)
>
> Fix KDE card decks (1 day)
>
> Sort out kernel options between architectures (5-10 days)
>
> At least one more KDE bump (1-2 days)
>
> Package rdesktop (2 days)
>
> Fix AltiVec detection code in GCC (2-5 days)
>
> Add _NPROCESSORS_ONLN to getconf(1) (1-2 days)

As wallpapers is low hanging fruit, I say we definitely have that ready
for BETA3, along with the KDE theme; I'd prioritise the alpha2 and
alpha7 lists after that. Kernel rationalisation, as long as it doesn't
break anything, would also be nice.

In case it isn't obvious, I'm in favour of a BETA3. I'd suggest,
however, that we start doing some of the marketing work in the lead-up
to BETA3 dropping; I think we've started laying the foundations for a
high quality distribution and it's time to get more people involved.

> This has a best case of 58 days (a fox gestation cycle, or 6 March
> 2019), and a worst case of 95 days (12 April 2019). Pad it out a
> little and BETA3 would have a Wish of 9 March, and a Due of 14 April.

Unless we're planning to ship with a skulk of kits for every new user,
I'm not sure how a fox gestation cycle helps or hinders us.

Are we planning to ship with a skulk of kits for every new user?

> My preference for this thread would be one discussion about whether a
> BETA3 should be added or not, and another thread about item
> discussion.
>
> Is there something missing from this list that needs to be in 1.0?
> Maybe something I forgot, or something you feel is critical? (Perhaps
> armhf/armv6 should be added; that could be running in the background
> while real work is done on all the other items, since it shouldn't
> need much in the way of hand-holding.)

Uh, I'd rather we support armv7 than arm6hf; other than the first
generation Raspberry Pi (which I'm willing to not support, let them run
RISC OS, it's nicer on that hardware), pretty much everything worth
having is armv7. That's definitely a discussion to have with people
more knowledgeable about ARM, but there's my opinion.

I also may have someone who's eager to help us get going on armv7, I've
been feeling them out for a little bit. But that's something we'll
probably end up hashing out over IRC.

Best,
 - Horst Burkhardt / mc