[adelie-users] Re: Live CD: After login as root or live, what next

From: Max Rees <maxcrees_at_me.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 20:13:05 -0500

On Thu Jun 18 06:06 AM, Sanjay Mysore wrote:
> Ok. Understood
> How to explore the Live CD? It says have fun and play around with it. How?
> Zsh terminal...how to get a desktop env?

You need to install a desktop environment; the RC1 CD does not come with
one already installed.

Your options are:

* lxqt-desktop (LXQt)
* mate-complete (MATE)
* plasma-desktop (KDE Plasma 5.18)
* xfce-desktop (XFCE 4)

You'll also want to install "sddm" and "x11" to get a full
out-of-the-box X11 experience.

For example, if I wanted to test out plasma-desktop, as "root" I would
run:

apk add plasma-desktop sddm x11
service sddm start

And that should take you to a graphical login screen where you can
hopefully login as "live".

If it instead shows a black screen forever, or something else, we will
need to examine the Xorg logs and see why it's not starting.

Max