[adelie-users] Progress Report for Adélie Linux on PPC + SunSPARC

From: Steve Arkwright <s_arkwright_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 13:37:22 +0000

Hello — I’m completely new to Adélie Linux and have been brought here on a recommendation from ActionRetro on YouTube who was advocating this distro for use on PPC and had tested it on a somewhat ancient iMac G3.

Having read a review elsewhere, I understand that Adélie is still at the stage where everything has to be communicated through CLI.

Therefore, because (other than copy+paste and some basics) command line syntax is something I am never going to learn — ever — I am very curious to learn how long it may be (2021, 2022, 2023…), before a version of Adélie exists for most platforms (particularly PPC + SunSPARC), with fully functional GUI installers and OS with full, easy GUI and access to basic programs and codecs (akin to Linux Mints’ optional proprietary repositories auto-install), where users don’t need, for example, to download and figure out how the hell to install drivers just to get (say) WiFi up and running — and there’s a Synaptic-type package manager for hassle-free software installs.

“How long is a piece of string?”. It’s an unreasonable question, I know.

Ball Park idea? A year, perhaps? Two? Ever?

It’s probably awful (even infuriating) for you guys and girls working on CLI every day, to hear users utterly refuse to use it and demand (request), instead, a pretty OS interface just to then use it on PowerPC G3’s and stacks of old Sun servers.

It’s an unenviable task you have for sure, yet curiosity demands I have to ask: partly because nobody has, so far as I’m aware, despite their claims, come up with a linux operating system which works 100% perfectly as a daily driver on PPC architecture or for HA clustering, but mostly because I want to have fun with what you’ve created — so please forgive me.

Thank you so much!

Best regards,

Steve