[adelie-devel] Re: iproute2 and GNU Bison

From: Dan Theisen <djt_at_hxx.in>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2019 15:55:33 -0800

On 3/7/2019 3:23 PM, Max Rees wrote:

> On Mar 07 04:46 PM, A. Wilcox wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have just done an experimental build of system/ without GNU Bison
>> available. The only package that uses Bison extensions to Yacc is
>> iproute2. There are three ways forward I can determine:
>>
>> 1) Move iproute2 to user/.
>>
>> We still have `ifconfig` and `route` from net-tools in system/ for base
>> installs. This allows us to continue to move GNU out of system/.
> I think this is the best course of action for now, and it was the first
> thought that came to my mind - if we don't absolutely need iproute2 in
> the base install / bootstrapping system, it shouldn't be in _at_system
> anyway.

I would prefer that we have iproute2 in system/ over net-tools to be
honest. net-tools isn't really maintained any longer, and iproute2 was
meant to be the replacement. I personally prefer the iproute2 interface
over net-tools anyhow.

>> 2) Port iproute2 to real Yacc.
>>
>> I am concerned that the upstream of iproute2 may not want this, though
>> there has never been any public discussion that I've found on this
>> topic. If they do not, then we would have to carry the patch for it.
>>
>> I will note that iproute2 only uses Yacc/Bison in one file, so it would
>> not be a particularly large patch to carry, but it would still be a
>> non-zero effort for every version bump of iproute2.
> This option could be pursued at a later date if it is deemed necessary
> to keep iproute2 in _at_system.

I'd be interested in looking into what it would take to carry out this
change.

--
Dan Theisen