[adelie-project] Re: Thinning out the base system and live images

From: Max Rees <maxcrees_at_me.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 17:48:30 -0500

On Thu Jun 04 06:58 PM, Max Rees wrote:
> On Wed Jun 03 06:18 PM, A. Wilcox wrote:
> > Another large set of packages is our viewer for manual pages. Right
> > now, documentation viewing is done via man-db. The man-db package is
> > 1.2 MB, but it requires the GNU groff typesetting system which is 17 MB
> > and the Berkeley database library which is an additional 2.1 MB. Added
> > up, this is over 20 MB.
> >
> > The BSD operating systems, Gentoo, Void, and Alpine are using the mandoc
> > package, which came from the OpenBSD and NetBSD communities. This
> > package appears to be less than 1 MB installed, and would allow us to
> > not only significantly reduce the size of all base images, but would
> > also allow us to remove another GNU package from base. I think we
> > should seriously investigate this option.
>
> If no one else is interested in trying this out I can take it up. I
> think it has a lower priority than the console-setup or GRUB issues, but
> it would be nice to do if only that we could close BTS#230 [1] (which I
> haven't been able to reproduce, but still).

As discussed on IRC it turns out BTS#230 was due to time64 issues in
system/db, so I'm closing that now.

I've gone ahead and prepared a merge request for transitioning from
man-db to mandoc. For the time being I've left groff in system/ since it
may have hidden dependencies in there, but during the next mass-rebuild
we should see what really needs it since it won't be pulled in by
anything that doesn't explicitly specify it. system/curl is the only one
in system/ that DOES explicitly depend on it but we can probably remove
that since it's only needed for generating PDFs.

system/db cannot be removed from system/ because system/nvi and
system/ruby depend on it.

https://code.foxkit.us/adelie/packages/-/merge_requests/458

Max