[adelie-users] Re: can't find documentation for install from full cd

From: Antonio Maccagnan <antoniomaccagnan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 19:01:57 -0700

Hello everybody and thanks for your replies.

--arw

the main problem I have encountered was that the system did not recognize my wireless card, thus did not show wlan0 among the options.
Like you say, the module was there (iwlwifi on 64 bit and b43 on 32 bit on my machines) but the firmware was absent.
There is probably a way to upload the firmware from a USB (as I do with Debian non firmware .iso) but I do not know how to do that in Adelie (I'm totally new to Adelie's ways and not an expert at Linux in general).
Since this issue might arise to other users, it might be good to address it in the manual.
This issue is critical only if one has to install from the Live medium, since once the system was installed one can add the firmware needed and edit the wireless configuration.
Still, I had to manually modprobe the kernel iwlwifi module before enabling the net.wlan0 service, cause I also haven't addressed yet the question of how loading kernel modules at boot.
Anyways, this was testing and I have a spare partition just to tinker and learn, I ended up mounting the partition on the live CD, getting to the /packages directory and install everything to the partiton with # apk --root /target add *.apk.
Grub found the kernel and the system booted, then I configured the wireless and added the service.
However, since I like Adelie's concept very much and would like to follow its development, I will properly re-install the full CD again tonight and see how that goes.

Best.

Antonio

--
Antonio Maccagnan <antoniomaccagnan(a)gmail.com>