[adelie-users] Re: OS image

From: Samuel Holland <samuel_at_sholland.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 23:36:41 -0600

Hi Didier,

On 3/2/20 8:30 AM, Didier Kryn wrote:
>     Now the help needed: I would like to create an Adélie chroot on a partition
> of a host running Devuan. Later, I would boot into it, using Grub's multiboot
> facility, either with the same kernel as Devuan, or with Adélie's kernel, or
> with one I compile myself. I have no free machine to install only Adélie on, and
> I like to do things with care.
>
>     Are there ready-made images I could copy to a partition, or is it possible
> to use the installation CD to do what I want?

Yes, you can download a "rootfs" tarball from one of the mirrors[1], and extract
it to a freshly-formatted partition. That should get you quickly up and running.

The installer is almost (but not quite) ready, so the current installation CDs
still require manual installation process[2]. This would get you effectively the
same thing as a rootfs tarball.

There are also "rootfs-mini" tarballs that contain only the minimal set of packages
necessary to run the package manager. I wouldn't recommend using them unless you
know exactly what you want beforehand.

[1]: https://distfiles.adelielinux.org/adelie/1.0/iso/rc1/
[2]: https://wiki.adelielinux.org/wiki/HOWTO:Manually_install_Ad%C3%A9lie_Linux

>     Thanks.